Last updated: 06/09/20
The policy of Beyond Wrapture Day Spa is to ensure that all Esthetician, Massage Technicians, Receptionists, and Guests at our place of business are protected from Covid-19 as well as any other biological agents in a matter that complies with B.C. Workman’s Compensation Act and our Public Health licensing requirements on an continual basis.
This exposure plan is to cover all Staff and Guests as it is reasonable to expect they may have had contact with COVID-9 or be A-symptomatic carriers. It is our hope that with this outline we can participate in the re-opening of our business when deemed appropriate. We would welcome a site at any time.
The Manager, Supervisor and the Owner of the Business (the Company) will:
- Conduct a risk identification and assessment of Staff and Guests potential exposure to biological hazards especially Covid-19.
- Will implement controls, safe work practices and written work procedures for staff to eliminate or reduce the possibility of exposure to biological hazards and Covid-19.
- Provide Staff and Guests with personal protective products such as Gloves, Facial Masks, Disinfecting Wipes, and Hand Sanitizer. Hand washing sinks and soap are available in 9 of the 11 rooms at our location. Safety eye wear is also available.
- Provide hospital grade disinfection cleansing products for cleaning of any Esthetics tools and supplies used and required for Guest’s treatments and Staff work areas: ie; ZEP Spirit II High Level Disinfectant Oxivir TB Wipes as well HLD, Zep Dyna Quat Plus Intermediate Level Disinfectant, 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol, Peroxide and Bleach.
- Ensure that Staff are not coming to work sick, Guests have not returned from Travelling without their required isolation period, and that all post-exposure health management is strictly adhered to if any of the above occur.
- Initiate investigations of exposure incidents to blood or Other Potentially Infectious Materials (OPIMs).
The Staff and (or) Guests of the Business will:
- Ensure the use of all controls, safe work practices and written work procedures as outlined and required by the Company.
- Attend any required educational training on safe work procedures/protocols as required by the Company.
- Wear the appropriate personal protective equipment provided by the Company.
- Follow the post-exposure health management procedure in the event of an exposure incident to blood or OPIMs.
Risk Identification and Assessment
All Staff at Beyond Wrapture have potential for occupational exposure to biological agents. It is reasonably anticipated that such contact may occur during specific treatments.
- Percutaneous Injury could happen during a pedicure clipping toe nails, however, our Estheticians have worn gloves doing this service for 26 years now
- Mucous Membrane Contact could transmit when changing over disposable or washable face covers however we take the covers off using non-touched surface
- Non-intact skin Contact while doing non-gloved spa treatments such as back massage or facials however we do not massage these areas in pedicures
- A-symptomatic carrier of Covid–19 who coughs or sneezes before they put on our protective face covering provided at entrance to the business.
- The Reception / Retail / Payment area has been redesigned with the Point of Sale device positioned two meters away from the Receptionist accepting payment. The POS is covered in plastic wrap to be easily discared if the Guest must use the device for a transaction that cannot be done with the tap feature (ie Debit payments).
- A touch less software has also been put in place so Guests can pay directly from their mobile phone. As required all surfaces will be cleaned and sanitized and floor markings to indicate where a guest should stand are now in place.
- Guests are always scheduled 30 minutes apart to protect privacy and maintain Social Distancing requirements as currently mandated. The reception area is large enough to have 1 Guest greeted at check in by the Receptionist before being escorted by their Esthetician directly to their treatment room. If Guests will be encouraged to hang up their coats in the closet so Staff are not handing their personal clothing. Guests are also asked to bring their own beverages as we will not be offering beverages to them during their services.
- At all times the Physical Distance requirements of 2 meters are easily attainable with new ‘where to stand’ floor markings to help Staff and Guests abide with the procedure.
- A Maximum of 12 guests a day at 30 minute intervals will accommodate Temporal Distancing: 1 Supervisor, 1 Receptionist, & 3 Estheticians. Guests will be in individual rooms with their Estheticians. Staff start times, treatment times and breaks will all be staggered to maintain the distancing requirements.
Safe work practice controls are the preferred means to eliminate or minimize Staff and Guests exposure to biological agents or OPIMs. However, If such controls are unavailable or impractical and do not completely eliminate exposure, such as facials or threading or face waxing the services will not be performed
Estheticians can hand wash before and after the service in the treatment room with the Guest present. The Guest will also be asked to wash their hands and be provided with a clean towel to dry hands. The towel of the Staff and the Guests will be disposed of into a separate covered container in the treatment room until they are removed to go into our laundry.
Work Practise Controls and Written Work Procedures
As specified in Beyond Wrapture work safe controls all Beyond Wrapture Staff will:
- Follow all infection control precautions & social distancing requirements.
- Wear Personal Face Coverings (our hand made masks with filters) in the work place and wear a new PFC for every client they service.
- Ensure that each and every Client is provided with a clean PFC on arrival to the Spa. All clients will be able to take their PFC home. Staff PFC will be laundered at the Spa.
- Follow safe sharps handling procedure, such as discarding any disposable, contaminated sharp items in sharps disposable containers as soon as possible after completion of use.
- Wear waterproof medical examination gloves while performing Manicure, Pedicure and Facial services as directed under Public Health.
- Replace gloves as soon as possible if they are torn, cut, punctured, leaking or when they become contaminated or damage in such a way that their ability to function as a barrier is in question.
- Use disposable gloves only once and follow the procedure for glove removal and hand washing immediately BEFORE and after use.
- Personal Face Coverings, Protective Eyewear Goggles, Small, Medium, & Large Disposable Gloves for staff are found in the Staff Utility room.
- PFC and disposable gloves for Guests will be located at the entrance to the Spa. Guests will be informed when we schedule their appointment that they will be required to wear these items while at the Spa and reminded with floor marking to remain physically distant. A clearly written sign will be displayed and our Beyond Wrapture Supervisor will remind them of this responsibility.
- Be knowledgeable, understand and follow the clean up and disinfecting protocols of the Spa :
- Disinfection only works on clean surfaces, so we clean the surface before with soap, water and chemical cleaners. Disinfectant is also only for hard, non-porous surfaces (such as door handles, samples, lotions, shampoo bowls etc.), and is to be done every time a new person enters/leaves.
- Pay attention to contact time. Contact time on a label refers to how long the surface must stay visibly wet with disinfectant to destroy all pathogens on the surface. Typical contact time for sprays is 10 minutes, and for wipes, 2-4 minutes.
- All touchable services will disinfected on opening and closing and throughout the day. Any Chairs, tables or other touchable objects will be cleaned and disinfected with our Intermediate Level Disinfection Zep Dyna Quat Pro at the completion of the Guests Service.
- Pay close attention to things people touch a lot. Door handles, for example, should be disinfected every 1-2 hours or after and before each appointment. Retail products will be ok for Guests to browse when they have our disposable gloves on however all product testers have been put away.
- Clean and disinfect our treatment room and change room sinks, taps, faucets, and toilet handles with a properly concentrated disinfectant or wipe.
- Hand washing is the gold standard for disinfecting. Clients and Staff are always asked to wash their hands over using hand sanitizer. Employees are required to wash their hands immediately upon entering the workplace before doing anything else. Hand Washing signs are posted in every treatment room. Guests are required to wash their hands as soon as they enter the treatment room, if for any reason they are not wearing gloves.
Housekeeping, Laundry and Waste
- All reusable tools of the trade ie; Esthetics tools such as nail and foot files/clippers/Stainless Steel Footbaths and Manicure bowls, Spa Slippers, PFCs and environmental working services will be decontaminated immediately after use and again in front of the Guest at the beginning of a treatment. Some smaller instruments will be sanitized throughout the day with Spirit II High Level Disinfectant with allowances for the proper disinfectant time allowed to guarantee the sanitization of the tools.
- Laundry and linens will be washed in hot water with detergent and a capful of Peroxide in each load and considered dry only when items are hot to touch. All linens will be stored in closed, covered cabinets until used.
- Soiled linens will be stored in closed bins.
- Disposable PPE that is not saturated or contaminated with OPIMs will be considered general waste and disposed of in waterproof waste bags to go to the landfill.
- Records will be kept if a Guest appears to be symptomatic of any illness at all.
- Guests will be required to answer questions regarding their health the day before and the day of their appointment time. .
- They will be asked if they have knowingly been in contact with anyone with COVID19, recovering from or in a facility or gathering of more than 10 people.
- Guests will be asked if they have been out of the country and what their return date was and if so they must confirm their isolation period of 14 days.
- The Supervisor will ask the Guest to verify these questions and the document will be signed by the supervisor (to eliminate touch), the document will be scanned and filed to be kept with business records for 7 years.
- All other demographic personal information such as address, contact phone numbers etc will be updated to ensure correct readily available data is available if contact tracing is required.
- Allergies, contraindications and preferences will continue to be requested and updated in the personal information computer software.